In January and February 2018, Selected held Teacher Job Search Bootcamps at Hunter College, NYU, and Bank Street to help current and aspiring teachers prepare for the upcoming hiring season. We helped a lot of enthusiastic teachers prepare to find a new job, and now we’re excited to help you!
Selected's goal is to support as many people in the teaching community as possible -- however, we know that it's impossible for everyone to be at our events, so we are sharing recordings of our workshops.
Here are 4 workshops that will help you put your best foot forward and slay your job search!
Revamping Your Resume
As a teacher, it’s hard to explain what you do in a few bullet points. Unfortunately, a resume has limited space, and job search season brings the mind-numbingly boring task of cramming who you are onto 1-2 pages.
In this recording of our Resume workshop, our Teacher and Community Support Lead Samson Woo will guide you through writing a resume that will any school recruiter sit up and take notice.
The workshop is separated into 5 videos -- check out each video to help think through how to put your best foot forward by highlighting your skills, your achievements, and your story.
- What is in the content and structure of a resume?
- What are recruiters looking for?
- What a great resume looks like
- How to tailor your resume
Acing the Teacher Demo Lesson
One of the most stressful parts of interviewing as a teacher is preparing a demo lesson. Teaching a lesson to students and other teachers you don't know is daunting, but here are tips from Jamie Truman (TFA alum, former NYC DOE teacher and Director of Operations) that can help everything go smoothly:
- What's challenging about a demo lesson? Common concerns all teachers have
- How do you plan for a demo lesson? What content should you incorporate into your lesson?
- How do you set expectations and establish a positive classroom community during a demo lesson?
- How do you differentiate a demo lesson?
- How do you physically set up a demo lesson classroom for success?
- How to avoid unnecessary stress during a demo lesson
Interviews are stressful. While they're an opportunity to give employers an idea of who you are, how truthful should you actually be to highlight your best qualities? In this workshop, Jamie Truman (TFA alum, former NYC DOE teacher and charter school Director of Operations) goes over some sample interview questions, gives you tips on how to knock it out of the park at any school interview, and decodes what hiring managers really look for when they ask certain questions.
- How to prepare and reflect for an interview
- Common interview questions and how to approach them
Finding Your Ideal School Fit
Lastly, one of the most important things in the job search process is finding a role somewhere that's great for YOU. School fit plays a big factor in your happiness and success, and it's critical to evaluate whether the schools you're interviewing at are places you can flourish at. In this workshop, Samson Woo (Selected's Teacher and Community Support Lead) guides you through the process of determining what's important to you and whether the school you're interviewing at is the best fit for you.
- What is school fit?
- How school fit can boost teacher retention
- What do you do as a teacher, and what do you need?
- How to find out what you're are you looking for
- Things to ask and look out for to determine whether a school's right for you
- Making a final decision on whether a school addresses your priorities
- Common questions and concerns
Contact Us and Thank YOU
We hope our workshops can support you as you jump into job search season! If you have any questions, comments, or thoughts, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Many thanks to our many school partners, including Hunter College, Bank Street College of Education, and NYU Steinhardt for hosting our workshops and giving us an opportunity to contribute to the education community.
Selected helps teachers find jobs at schools they love. We offer a free school matching and career support platform for teachers that connects them with 1,100+ PK-12 public and independent schools in urban metro areas in the Northeast and West Coast, including New York City, NJ, CT, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Boston, and Los Angeles. Make a FREE profile and start speaking with hiring schools immediately!