Presenter: Diego Merino, Senior Recruitment Manager, Avenues: the World School
Fit and values
- What do you most value in education, as an educator?
- In what school environment do you thrive?
- What supports do you need?
- Talents, skills, & knowledge best aligned with the job. Be prepared with specific examples for each.
- What makes you flow?
- How do you help students learn & grow?
- Authenticity is critically important.
- Self-reflection required.
- Examples should be specific.
- What did you accomplish & why does it matter?
- How is the school/classroom/student different because of you?
- Describe the accomplishment; quantify when possible.
In cover letter
- Explain 2-3 accomplishments highly relevant to the specific role.
- Use 'PAR' framework (see below).
Problem – Action - Result ('PAR') Framework
- Describe the situation.
- What action you took, and why.
- Use this to illuminate your thought process.
- Describe the impact of your action: what changed, why it’s significant, and how you know.
... and practice!
- Practice with a peer and structure your thoughts.
No Experience, No Problem
Prior teaching experience
- Use examples primarily from your teaching.
No prior teaching experience
- Use examples from paid positions (best), and internships, volunteering, academic work.
- If the example is not teaching-related, be explicit about how it applies to the role and question being asked.
Mission, values, and culture
- What does the school believe?
- Website, job description, online reviews, professors, other teachers, etc.
Interview the interviewers
- Have thoughtful questions ready to help assess fit: current challenges, near-term direction, professional development, teacher support.
Cultivate mentors (who will tell you the truth)
askamanager.org (advice on workplace issues)
Content from Selected
Selected is an online matching platform for teachers and 450+ urban schools in NYC, NJ, Philly, and DC. Schools apply to you, not the other way around! 100% free for teachers.
Subscribe to Selected Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox